commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "Sanity Check of APIs, etc." by MattBenson
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:38:32 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "Sanity Check of APIs, etc." page has been changed by MattBenson:
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Sanity%20Check%20of%20APIs%2C%20etc.?action=diff&rev1=6&rev2=7

     (Same question would apply to -Predicate and -Procedure in addition to -Function) Using
a vararg parameter would preclude the binary (and hypothetical ternary, etc.) functors from
supporting different strongly typed arguments.  I think it would be a step backward.  MJB

   * '''''EachElement should be able to work on any Iterable. Also I'm not sure to understand
why its constructor is public.'''''
-    Agreed about the first point; added https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FUNCTOR-13
.  As to why the ctor is public, the javadoc says "This constructor is public to permit tools
that require a JavaBean instance to operate."  Not sure how many tools actually still need
this.  Velocity was the primary suspect for ages; does anyone know if it still needs a bean
instance?
+    Agreed about the first point; added https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FUNCTOR-13
.  As to why the ctor is public, the javadoc says "This constructor is public to permit tools
that require a JavaBean instance to operate."  Not sure how many tools actually still need
this.  Velocity was the primary suspect for ages; does anyone know if it still needs a bean
instance? '''UPDATE''' it was quick work to google that Velocity does now support calling
static methods, so we can IMO end this practice for current and future development throughout
Commons.

   * '''''Shouldn't Generator implement Iterable?'''''
     It doesn't seem so to me.  It's possible some more expository name could be found for
Generator.