commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <>
Subject another new URL() question
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:56:48 GMT
Regarding the new URL() problem some of you might have more experience than I do. I only know
the problems on some platforms, and after looking at the URL class in detail, I really wonder
whether that was me doing it wrong or a platform bug.

My understanding problem is mainly around the URLStreamHandler. There is a method where one
can set a URLStreamHandlerFactory (once for JVM lifetime):

URL#setURLStreamHandlerFactory(URLStreamHandlerFactory fac)

Thus when a ClassLoader#getResources() returns an URL with "wsjar://" as protocol and it cannot
be used for new URL(), then can I safely assume this is a problem in the container setup?
This happens on Oracles own WebLogic...

I have not yet tried the following way:

String protocol = "wsjar";
URLStreamHandler getURLStreamHandler(protocol)

and then use the following URL constructor:

public URL(URL context, String spec, URLStreamHandler handler)

Can anyone test if this works? Or does anyone know already?
We might hack a small JSP page which scans for META-INF/MANIFEST.MF and reports errors with
new URL(). That way we could spread the test onto various platforms.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message