commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [jcs] Request for review
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 10:40:41 GMT
Hi all,

Note that replacing arrays with collections should not be done without
understanding the performance implications...

Gary

On Jun 5, 2012, at 1:14, "Bruno P. Kinoshita"
<brunodepaulak@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>> Thanks, I'm trying to pull things straight to make it usable it current
>> environments. I use the old version a lot. The code has more than 400
>> unit tests and a few disabled ones. Some tests tend to fail every now
>> and then (timing dependent). Those problems are hard to spot. I could
>> need some help...
>
> I don't have a project using [jcs], but I can help debugging, running tests in Linux
with different JVM's, and other minor issues :-) As I have used ehcache in some JEE projects,
I'm specially interested in learning if it is a good idea to replace ehcache by [jcs], as
it looks like it has better performance [1] and more features.

>> I'm afraid this is not enough information to understand what you mean.
>> Could you be a bit more specific, please?
>
> Sure. I was only suggesting that maybe you could try adding generics to [jcs] and when
in doubt, consult the [functor] SVN history and look for what was done. But I had a look on
[jcs] code, and its codebase is much bigger than [functor]'s. And I've also noticed that some
of the warnings are due generics in arrays. In some cases it is simply not possible to generify
the types used in arrays (you can use collections, or suppress the warning), not sure if it
is the case in [jcs] though.

> I will read more the [jcs] codebase to see if I can spot some places to generify the
code and remove some warnings :-) There is something about generics in arrays, and 'generifying'
legacy code in [2].

> All the best,
>
> [1] http://commons.apache.org/jcs/JCSvsEHCache.html
> [2] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/generics-tutorial.pdf
>
> Bruno P. Kinoshita
> http://www.kinoshita.eti.br
> http://www.tupilabs.com
>
> On 06/02/2012 04:28 PM, Thomas Vandahl wrote:
>> On 01.06.12 06:31, Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> [jcs] seems very interesting :-) and maybe I could use it in some applications
too (or at least knowing about it may help).

>> Thanks, I'm trying to pull things straight to make it usable it current
>> environments. I use the old version a lot. The code has more than 400
>> unit tests and a few disabled ones. Some tests tend to fail every now
>> and then (timing dependent). Those problems are hard to spot. I could
>> need some help...
>>
>>> I'm not an expert in generics, but some time ago similar task was done in [functor],
maybe we could use that as base. I will read the changes in [functor] and will try to review
the warnings in [jcs], and then comment or propose patches.

>> Well, my impression with generics is that you can overdo it easily.
>> Maybe it's not necessary in the deeper layers of the library and it only
>> causes trouble. That's why I'm asking for reviews.
>>

>>> In case you would like to take a look on what was done in [functor], check r1188373
until r1188409 more or less. There may be more to be done in [functor] as it hasn't been released
yet, but the new version with generics is working perfectly, no broken tests, no changes in
the functionality, and I think there are no warnings.