commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dimitri Pourbaix <pourb...@astro.ulb.ac.be>
Subject Re: [math] Deprecating
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 20:09:39 GMT
Sebastien,

> Hi,
> in this thread,
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201204.mbox/%3C20120418122114.GB32074%40dusk.harfang.homelinux.org%3E
> I suggested that we deprecate guessParametersErrors() and replace it
> with getParametersStandardDeviation(), since the implemented formula
> seems to be the accepted estimate for the sd of the optimized
> parameters.
> There was no reaction, but I don't think that meant agreement (!).

You are right, there is no agreement on your suggestion ... and there
is no agreement on the meaning of StandardDeviation either.  As far as
astronomers are concerned, we do quote sigma (without any additional
factor) as the uncertainty of/formal error on a parameter.

Regards,
  Dim.
Dimitri Pourbaix                         *      Don't worry, be happy
Institut d'Astronomie et d'Astrophysique *         and CARPE DIEM.
CP 226, office 2.N4.211, building NO     *
Universite Libre de Bruxelles            *      Tel : +32-2-650.35.71
Boulevard du Triomphe                    *      Fax : +32-2-650.42.26
  B-1050 Bruxelles                        *        NAC: HBZSC RG2Z6
http://sb9.astro.ulb.ac.be/~pourbaix     * mailto:pourbaix@astro.ulb.ac.be