commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Serializable (again)
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 11:03:58 GMT
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>> Is there such a thing as short-term serialization?
>
> Yes, of course, and this what many people need. This is what James
> called marshalling/unmarshalling. This is a standard way to communicate
> between some applications that share a common basis. Of course [math] is
> not a distributed computing environment, but it should not prevent
> people from being used in a distributed environment.

For long-term serialization needs, I would suggest instead that we
introduce (perhaps it's there already, I'm not familiar with the
entire codebase) exporters/importers which support some
industry-standard file format(s) (such as those used by R for
example).  Now, I would only suggest we introduce these where it makes
sense, such as for larger data structures like matrices.  For
something with a few fields, not so much.