commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Serializable (again)
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 11:17:33 GMT
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM, S├ębastien Brisard
<sebastien.brisard@m4x.org> wrote:
> Setting aside the discussion on serialization, this would probably be
> a nice extension. The problem is to find a good (as in "widely used")
> standard. Do you think the file formats used by R are good candidates
> (meaning: used outside the R community)? Are these file format indeed
> standardized, with precise specifications?
> I've heard about HDF as well, but I have not investigated.

I only chose the R stuff because in my opinion, the file formats are
very easy.  From my recollection, R supports simple text-based input
(tab-delimited) very well.  I believe it also has "object" files that
it can spit out, but I don't know if we want to go that far.  I'm no
expert on the math software industry (so much for that math degree).
I would leave that up to folks from the CM project to decide.
However, I would think that if you support a textual, delimited file
format, most math libraries would be able to consume it (and produce
files that CM could consume as well).