commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] numerical problem sniffer
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 09:13:45 GMT
Hi all,

as we all know, java does not provide any means of detecting overflows
and/or underflows in numerical calculations off-the-shelf.
While investigating some numerical stability problems and trying to improve
the eigenvalue implementation, I was thinking about instrumenting certain
operations to detect such things.

In fact there already exists something that does exactly this (and some
other things like smearing, cancellation, ...)

The thing is called cojac and can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/cojac/

It is a very nice tool, so in case somebody did not know about it, give it
a try.

Thomas