commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject [math] Duplicate code in ArrayRealVectorTest, RealVectorTest, SparseRealVectorTest
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 05:24:25 GMT
Dear all,
while working on MATH-792 [1], I've noticed that the above mentioned
tests contain a lot of duplicate code. Besides, some of the unit tests
are no longer (in my opinion) unit tests, since they test many
different functionalities.
I would be tempted to refactor these tests. I've recently implemented
RealVectorAbstractTest for testing the various implementations of the
visitor pattern. That's probably the place where the code should be
factored out.
Besides readability, the benefit would be use of implementation of
other kinds of vector. The immediate benefit for me would be for the
implementation of views of vectors (which have been discussed some
time ago on the ML): testing would be almost trivial (I hope). I think
this refactoring would also lead to a natural resolution of MATH-625
[2].

It could be argued that this is counter-productive, as I would be
doing again what has already been done (and works!). I do not know if
we intend to release 3.1 soon, in which case this proposal might be
postponed.

What do you think?

Best regards,
S├ębastien