commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] LocalizedFormats.ALPHA and BETA no longer used
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 19:21:13 GMT
Hi,

2012/5/27 Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr>:
> Le 27/05/2012 16:25, Jochen Wiedmann a écrit :
>>>
>>> Just remove the entries from the enum and temove the corresponding entry
>>> in the translation properties file.
>>
>> Why remove them at all? I understand the desire, it meets my sense for
>> clean code. But I learned to fight against these desires from time to
>> time.
>
> These parameters are mainly for internal use, we don't consider them as
> part of the public API. As we remove their internal use, it seems good
> to be consistent and remove everything at once.

I fully agree.

> Do you have an idea about another use that could justify we retain them ?

It's probably just as well to restore these constants if we find a use
for them at a later point (that would be trivial).

So, do we agree that these constants should go? How should I proceed?
The clean way (deprecation in 3.1, and complete removal in 4.0), or
the brutal way (complete removal in 3.1) ?

Best regards,
Sébastien