commons-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git support?
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 23:58:33 GMT
2012/5/16 Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com>:
> Completely OT: Is Git supported now?

[1] > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4703?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13276416#comment-13276416

1. Is there web GUI for Git at ASF, like viewvc?

2. Is JIRA integrated with Git? So that commits were linked from JIRA issues.

3. What are the benefits? What it changes for the community?

Isn't using git-svn enough?

4. Are there other projects that can be looked at as an example of
successful use of Git at ASF?  Tapestry has moved just recently and
their site still refers to SVN as their source repository [2][3].

[2] http://tapestry.apache.org/download.html
[3] http://tapestry.apache.org/community.html#Community-SourceCodeAccess

In [4] the following two projects were mentioned:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html
http://logging.apache.org/log4php/

[4] http://markmail.org/thread/tcx5ay5t5qz3yxm5

CloudStack just entered incubation a month ago. Log4php does not have
any Git info in the "Source repository" section of their web site.

5. The Git repository [5] seems like a temporary site. (It will have a
better name later?) It is worth looking at, because it has links to
further information.

[5] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/

Well, I think the current thread is just a call for opinions. I'd
suggest to wait for several (three? six?) months so that
infrastructure issues for those "pioneering" projects are solved.  I
would like to see several releases from the new infrastructure in
those projects, and more documentation both on the projects web sites
and on apache.org/dev/ .

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko