commons-dev mailing list archives

From Heinz Kredel <kre...@rz.uni-mannheim.de>
Subject Re: [Math] Serializable (again)
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 21:32:08 GMT
Am Dienstag 22 Mai 2012, 11:28:27 schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 09:40:25PM +0200, Heinz Kredel wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 15 Mai 2012, 23:25:46 schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
> > > Hello.

> > > I like the idea of finding something in order to make it clear what
> > > the
> > > intention is. However, I don't see what we would gain with this new
> > > interface.
> > > Maybe I'm missing something.
> >
> > I think of such an interface as a workaround: there are good reasons for
> > implementing Serializable and good reasons for to not implement it. So
> > the people which need some classes to be usable in a distributed
> > setting could be satisfied without putting the burden of implementing
> > Serializable with its full contract to the developers.
>
> Relieving developers is a kind thought, but is it possible in this case?
> I may be dense at the moment, but do you suggest that classes are tagged
> with "... implements Transportable" and nothing more?

yes, but it must not be done all at once. If there are (new) requests for
certain classes to implement Serializable, one could instaed implement
Transportable. Besides the documentation provided by interface Transportable,
it should be discussed in a general policy document of AC Math with reference
to the discussion in this thread. There is a possible conflict when AC Math
later decides on a long term serialization mechanism. An additional interface,
say "Storable", could then interfere with Transportable. But as "Storable"
could at that time mean something different to Java Serializable it is open
how to combine the two.

Regards,
Heinz