commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math][license] How to donate GPL-licensed code
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 11:29:11 GMT
Le 22/05/2012 12:28, Thomas Neidhart a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I was in contact with Thomas Abeel, the creator of java-ml (
> http://java-ml.sourceforge.net/) to discuss his interest to contribute
> certain parts of it to CM (mainly clustering algorithms).
> He is quite interested to donate most of the library to Apache Commons
> (except for some glue-code to Weka which has to stay GPL I guess), and I
> would like to know what he has to do for it.
>
> Are there some kind of instructions on the wiki or somewhere else?

Yes, the process is to sign a software grant. See
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants> (private joke: I'm sure this
will remind you something else ...).

Note that the grant means the donated stuff will become Apache licensed,
so the people who sign the grant must have all the intellectual property
rights needed for that. This usually means either they did wrote all the
code by themselves (no external contributors), or the external
contributors tranfered intellectual property to them, or external
contributors also signe the grant and allow the license change.

Luc