commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] numerical stability problems of continued fraction
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 06:22:04 GMT
On 5/20/12 10:32 PM, S├ębastien Brisard wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>> This seems to solve all the described problems, but the question remains
>> if this can be included without problems into CM. The algorithm
>> description in NR is not in source code but on an higher level.
>>
> Looking at the relevant chapter in NR, I don't think there is any
> license issue (no code provided in NR).
> However, if you really want to play it safe, the paper by Thompson is
> available here
> http://www.fresco.org.uk/papers/Thompson-JCP64p490.pdf
> I guess downloading it is OK, as www.fresco.org.uk seems to be
> Thompson's own website.
> What you could do is conform closely to Thompson's notation, instead
> of NR's notation.

+1

Personally, I would say it is probably OK to implement the algorithm
based on the high level description if there is no code provided and
you are just implementing the numerical algorithm.  What NR
explicitly lays claim to [1] is the implementations they provide in
code.  In [1], they claim that translations of provided code into
other languages violates their copyright; whence our tendency to
avoid looking at their code or implementing anything that we can't
find another reference for.  If all that you are relying on is a
high-level description of an algorithm that is documented elsewhere,
I would say that is fair game.  If you can get and refer to a different reference for the
algorithm, as Sebastien suggests, that is what we prefer to do.

Phil

[1] http://www.nr.com/licenses/redistribute.html