commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <>
Subject [functor] Remove duplicated equals() methods
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 18:27:33 GMT
Hi all,

While I am still trying to find time to work on a proposal for enhancements in the generators
API in [functor] (, I'm reviewing other pending
issues, including the one regarding test coverage.

The comparators API seemed to be lacking tests for some decision branches. But looking closely
at the code, I realized that there were two equals code in some comparator functors. Then
I set up a Sonar instance to scan the code, and found that it is common in many other parts
of the code (

Does anybody know if there is some reason for having both equals(Object that) and equals(SomeFunctor<?>
that)? I think we could merge both methods in only one. The Generators in [functor] have only
one equals() method, and compares against this, uses instanceof, etc. I had a quick look on
[math3] and [lang3], and looks like they both use only one equals() method, compares against
this, uses instaceof, etc.

If there is no objection here, I could create a patch for this in Jira, merging both equals()
methods in one :-) Then after this I will proceed writing tests to increase the test coverage

Thanks in advance!

Bruno P. Kinoshita

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: