commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POOL] documenting the public API
Date Fri, 04 May 2012 16:14:20 GMT

sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think it would be useful to try and specify upfront which public
>classes / methods etc are intended to form part of the public API, to
>distinguish them from items that are public merely to allow internal
>access between packages.

I'd prefer to move things between packages and make them package private if at all possible.
I should be able to take a look at that over the next few days. I have an OS license of Structure
101 and I'll run that over it as well along with PMD and friends.

>If changes are later needed to public classes that are documented as
>not being part of the public API, we can potentially break binary
>compatibility if necessary.

Agreed.

>Maybe consider using a separate package name element such as "internal"
>?

If a separate package helps sort out what is API and what isn't then +1.

Mark