commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [classscan],[meiyo],[sandbox] Sharing a concrete proposal for class path scanning / class metadata
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:35:46 GMT
The problem is that they might not have that luxury (using APT).   The
specification (in the case of EJBs) says that classpath scanning must
be supported.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Honton, Charles
<Charles_Honton@intuit.com> wrote:
> Simo,
>
> How much time is too long?  One minute?  One second?  Ten seconds?
>
> Thanks,
> chas

Tripodi
> Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:17 AM
> To: Commons Developers List
> Subject: Re: [classscan],[meiyo],[sandbox] Sharing a concrete proposal for class path
scanning / class metadata

> Same here, as main Meiyo contributor I'm of course interested, but no
> available cycles ATM, hopefully during the weekend :(
>
> Anyway, just to speak about it, I am changing my mind about classpath
> scanning, that - even only when bootstrapping, of course - is a time
> consuming operation.
> I'd invite you on thinking about an AnnotationProcessor that at
> compile-time generates the SPI META-INF/services files for
> @EJB/@Entity annotated classes - bootstrap would be of course faster!
>
> all the best, have a nice day!
> -Simo

> http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
> http://www.99soft.org/
>

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM, James Carman
> <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>> I am interested.  I do want to keep it as simple as possible to set up
>> and retrieve the information.  I haven't had a chance to take a look
>> at your stuff, yet, though.  Perhaps I can get a few cycles this week.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Honton, Charles
>> <Charles_Honton@intuit.com> wrote:
>>> There's been sporadic talk on this newsgroup since September 2010 about providing
a commons component which can scan a classpath and provide metadata about the classes.
I have a clean (license-wsie) concrete interface and implementation to share.  This code
will support the following use cases:

>>> 1. An ioc container used during unit testing that replaces the full-blown EJB
container.  The ioc container will auto-stitch the @Stateless unit under test with default
@EJB implementations available from the classpath.  The container allows replacement of default
implementations with specific mocks.  Framework needs to find @EJB interfaces and implementations
available from jars in classpath.

>>> 2. Augment a code container to implement a domain event pub/sub framework.  Auto-stitch
the subscribers that want specific events to the publication of events.  Framework needs
to find implementations available to ear.

>>> 3. A JPA implementation must find all classes marked with @Entity within the
same jar that contains a META-INF/persistence.xml file.

http://github.com/chonton/meiyo-sandbox