commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <>
Subject Re: [Math] Question about "AbstractLeastSquaresOptimizer" code
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:56:32 GMT
2012/4/25 Gilles Sadowski <>:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 03:46:58PM +0200, Sébastien Brisard wrote:
>> Hi Gillles,
>> >
>> > Can we then agree that the current naming is not really clear?
>> > Since we are not allowed to readily remove this method, the best solution
>> > would be to update the Javadoc to make it clear what is done there, i.e.
>> > cite the full definition of ASE (together with a reference).
>> >
>> this would be the best solution in my view. I just need to find a good
>> reference where ASE is properly defined.
> The ones you found are good enough, I guess; just to let people know that
> they might not want to use that method. ;-)
Oh no, they do want to use this method. From what I gathered, it's
actually the standard way of estimating the error on the parameters. I
found two nice references
1. (NIST is your friend -- will
implement some unit tests based on these reference cases!)
2. see paragraph "In a
least squares calculation with unit weights, or in linear regression,
the variance on the jth parameter"

Best regards,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: