commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classscan],[meiyo],[sandbox] Sharing a concrete proposal for class path scanning / class metadata
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:57:55 GMT
Actually, on this subject, I was able to establish on the
legal-discuss ML recently that code authored entirely by an existing
committer, even if it has been "exposed" on e.g. github, needs no
formal SG to be incorporated into an ASF codebase.  Sorry for having
pushed for this in the case of [meiyo], but the point is that Mark
Struberg is after all free to add his
https://github.com/struberg/Apache-commons-classscanner code to
[classscan].  This will give us a little more to discuss wrt merging
its and [meiyo]'s features.  As I recall, Mark was having trouble
logging into the Moin wiki, which is where I had hoped we could
establish a concrete set of goals.  We could potentially do this in
JIRA instead.

Matt

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM, James Carman
<james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> The problem is that they might not have that luxury (using APT).   The
> specification (in the case of EJBs) says that classpath scanning must
> be supported.
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Honton, Charles
> <Charles_Honton@intuit.com> wrote:
>> Simo,
>>
>> How much time is too long?  One minute?  One second?  Ten seconds?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> chas

Tripodi
>> Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:17 AM
>> To: Commons Developers List
>> Subject: Re: [classscan],[meiyo],[sandbox] Sharing a concrete proposal for class
path scanning / class metadata

>> Same here, as main Meiyo contributor I'm of course interested, but no
>> available cycles ATM, hopefully during the weekend :(
>>
>> Anyway, just to speak about it, I am changing my mind about classpath
>> scanning, that - even only when bootstrapping, of course - is a time
>> consuming operation.
>> I'd invite you on thinking about an AnnotationProcessor that at
>> compile-time generates the SPI META-INF/services files for
>> @EJB/@Entity annotated classes - bootstrap would be of course faster!
>>
>> all the best, have a nice day!
>> -Simo

>> http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
>> http://www.99soft.org/
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM, James Carman
>> <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>>> I am interested.  I do want to keep it as simple as possible to set up
>>> and retrieve the information.  I haven't had a chance to take a look
>>> at your stuff, yet, though.  Perhaps I can get a few cycles this week.

a commons component which can scan a classpath and provide metadata about the classes.
I have a clean (license-wsie) concrete interface and implementation to share.  This code
will support the following use cases:

EJB container.  The ioc container will auto-stitch the @Stateless unit under test with default
@EJB implementations available from the classpath.  The container allows replacement of default
implementations with specific mocks.  Framework needs to find @EJB interfaces and implementations
available from jars in classpath.

 Auto-stitch the subscribers that want specific events to the publication of events.  Framework
needs to find implementations available to ear.

the same jar that contains a META-INF/persistence.xml file.

http://github.com/chonton/meiyo-sandbox