commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject [codec] fixing CODEC-96 breaks BC
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 14:09:01 GMT
WRT https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-96

(Moving discussion to ML from JIRA)

OK, I see the Clirr errors now after applying CODEX-96-2.patch locally. It
looks like normal users would not be affected. The issue is only if a codec
is used in some advanced scheme. I am not sure what user story that would
be though. According to this issue, the bug was made from 1.3 to 1.4.

We have choices:

- Don't apply the patch and document Base-N codecs as thread-unsafe.
- Apply the patch for 1.7 and document breakage.
- Apply the patch for 2.0 and document breakage.

Thoughts?

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory