commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Honton, Charles" <Charles_Hon...@intuit.com>
Subject RE: [classscan],[meiyo],[sandbox] Sharing a concrete proposal for class path scanning / class metadata
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:47:51 GMT
Mark,

Please look at my implementation - http://chonton.github.com/meiyo-sandbox/ (I've accidently
trashed my source respository, which I'll clean up tomorrow.)  You can see the code through
the javadoc and jxr reports.

The implementation tracks classes per location (jar or folder), with multiple locations per
classloader, up to and including the bootstrap classloader.  Finding class information delegates
the search up the parent chain, mirroring the classloader pattern.

Additionally, the implementation includes a registry of classloader information, so that multiple
users need not introspect each classloader multiple times.  The code allows gc reclamation
of the bcel objects to minimize memory footprint.  The registry holds weak references to the
classloaders, so that the classloaders may be reclaimed.

Regards,
chas

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Struberg [mailto:struberg@yahoo.de]

... We need to provide class scanning on a per-ClassLoader level. Many frameworks (EJB, CDI,
...) need to take care about Class visibility and might even have to deal with 'shared-contexts'.
Thus the commons-classscan as well as xbean-finder must  be aware of the ClassLoader hierarchy.
Especially in multi-webapp environments this might (as side effect) also bring a pretty neat
performance improvement as we don't need to scan those shared class paths redundantly!