commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [codec][collections][math]Re: [lang] adding an implementation of the Myers difference algorithm
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 14:26:16 GMT
Am 07.04.2012 12:37, schrieb Gary Gregory:
> On Apr 7, 2012, at 5:41, Luc Maisonobe<Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,

Myers

>>> Not to be downer here but this is feeling out of scope for Lang. I
>>
>> You are right.
>>
>>> think about the java.lang extension mission and this does not fit IMO.
>>> So the next question is where in Commons would this fit? Codec? A new
>>> component? There are 20 plus components in Commons, let's think of the
>>> best fit.
>>
>> Looking at the list, I would put [collections] as first choice and
>> [codec] as second choice ... and [math] as third choice (but this is
>> already stretching too far).
>>
>> Any other idea or advice ?
>
> A positive aspect of picking collections would be to release
> collections 4.0 which has been requested many times for Generics.

This code seems to be something new because in Commons there is no
component providing implementations for standard algorithms. (And I
doubt that it makes sense to create one as it would be really hard to
define its scope.)

Given the fact that the algorithm operates on collections, [collections]
indeed seems to be the right place. Or maybe [functor]?

Oliver