commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] More missing/confusing infos in "UsingNexus"
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 15:55:39 GMT
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Gilles Sadowski
<gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> I'm now trying to figure how to "stage the site". [What does "stage" mean in
> this context?]

"deploying" it to a place which is not the live site

> <server>
>  <id>stagingSite</id>
>  <username>repouser</username>
>  <!-- other optional elements:
>     <password>my_login_password</password>
>     <privateKey>/path/to/identity</privateKey> (default is ~/.ssh/id_dsa)
>     <passphrase>my_key_passphrase</passphrase>
>  -->
> </server>
> ---CUT---
>
> I wonder:
>  * Should I replace "repouser" with my login?

your asf login name yes

>  * Is the password really optional?

yes. I have multiple servers defined, one with password. Others with
privateKey and passphrase.
i think it prompts you for a password if you havent one in place

>  * Can the password be encrypted?

yes:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-encryption.html#How_to_encrypt_server_passwords

>  * What should be done with the ssh key?

<privateKey>/Users/christian/keys/myprivateasf.key</privateKey>
Or so. Its good practice to leave your private key on a CD_Rom or on a
usb stick, people say.

> Then, what does "[...]" mean in the next excerpt from the document? I.e.
> ---CUT---
> mvn site:stage-deploy -DstagingDirectory=src/site \
> -DstagingSiteURL=scp://[...]/people.apache.org/builds/commons/compress/1.1/RC1
> ---CUT---

I think you need to check this on peoples server. Log in and it should
be something like /www/people.a.o/builds etc

To my knowledge it is basically the full path of the location of your
staged site.

> When I issue the command:
>
>  $ mvn site:stage-deploy -DstagingDirectory=src/site -DstagingSiteURL=scp://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.0/RC1

I think this path is not correct. Please check it again... it sis the
full path to your stage location

> : Password: :
> ---CUT---
>
> Do I have to give the password interactively? Why is it specified in the
> "settings.xml" then? [Moreover it is echoed on the console as I type it.]
> It does not make any sense.

If you use a ssh key, you have to enter the keys passphrase.  If you
have the phassphrase in place, it should disappear. Which elements did
you define?

> What is the purpose of the
>  Using private key: /home/eran/.ssh/id_rsa
> statement?
> Do I in fact need to set up no-password login to my account on
> "people.apache.org"?

It is preferred by infra to my knowledge - passwords are evil, people say

> For when the above is going to work, I noticed that the file
>  src/site/site.xml
> (in the working copy) contains theses lines
>
>     <item name="Javadoc (3.0 release)" href="apidocs/index.html"/>
>     <item name="Javadoc (2.2 release)"
>           href="http://commons.apache.org/math/api-2.2/index.html"/>
>
> i.e. the new (3.0) docs links to a local file. Will that be automagically
> changed at some point? By which command?

if you do mvn site:site it should show you the actual output. My guess
is you need to change it manually.

Hope that helps you a bit! Feel free to improve the document

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de