commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Commons Parent reports
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:06:10 GMT
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Gilles Sadowski
<gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > The tools are there, but you have to tell people that they _must_ use them.
>>
>> Commons has already enough rules and process. As long as the releases
>> are have clean code I wouldn't be too anal about the commits in
>> between.
>
> I think that the main disagreement is here. Source code must be a clear read
> for the _developers_. To put it bluntly, I don't care that the releases have
> cleanly formatted code, as almost nobody is going to read those packaged
> sources!

Nobody objects using Checkstyle. Personally I object a default
Checkstyle config, which everybody must override. Nearly every
components has specifics, so everybody MUST override. What if you
don't want to use Checkstyle? Can you disable it?
What, if you use Sun conventions and Maven conventions are the
default? Much work! Please leave the checkstyle question to where it
belongs, and this is not parent pom, but the individual component.

And thats what I meant with: as long as we don't have a common
codestyle, i does not make much sense to have a common checkstyle
configuration.

Secondly, I have not had the feeling in the past years that checkstyle
helped me so much (including non open source projects). And so far, my
code was readable.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de