commons-dev mailing list archives

From Lance Finney <lmfin...@alum.wustl.edu>
Subject [math] LaguerreSolver.ComplexSolver is private; functionality lost in 3.0
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2012 01:15:14 GMT
We used LaguerreSolver.solveAll() in version 2.1, but we never upgraded to
2.2. As such, we didn't notice that it was deprecated in that release.

Now that 3.0 is out, we want to upgrade, but that method has been
completely removed.

Interestingly, the logic is still there in the library in an inner class:
org.apache.commons.math3.analysis.solvers.LaguerreSolver.ComplexSolver.
Unfortunately for us, though, ComplexSolver is now private. So, for us as
users, we've lost access to a useful algorithm that is still in the library.

Please re-enable access to this useful algorithm that provides complex
roots of polynomial formulae. The simplest approach for our purposes would
be to make LaguerreSolver.ComplexSolver public, but perhaps another
approach would be considered better design.