commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Refactoring of the vector and matrix classes
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:31:19 GMT
Hi Leandro,
great to hear from you again!

> +1 To Your Idea Sebastien.

This is not *my* idea, it has been around for some time now (long
before I joined the project). The aim of this thread is merely to try
and find the best way to proceed and capitalize on previous
discussions. I would love to hear your thoughts (and those of others)
on that proposal (the wiki thing).

> I kinda think your idea could be expanded in a more broader way
> by also adding support for Cartesian Tensor Algebra. I think a feature like that would
be welcomed.

My topic is solid mechanics, so I for one would of course love to see
some tensor algebra in CM at some point [1]. I have some personal
classes for handling tensors with Voigt symmetry (most common in
mechanics), which might at some point find their place in CM.

As for higher-order or more general tensors, that would be an open
field for you to think about, if you're interested in this area. If I
were you, I would have a look to the Maxima Computer algebra System
[2], which has a package for high-order tensors (with co- *and*
contra- variant components!), maybe you could draw some inspiration
from the api (I know it's not OO design, nor numerically oriented, but
still...).

Best regards,
Sébastien

[1] maybe this thread is not the right place to discuss this proposal, though.
[2] http://maxima.sourceforge.net/