commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject [codec] What version should implement a behavior change?
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:11:40 GMT
Hello All,

We have a patch for
[CODEC-134<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-134>]
but it is a change in behavior. In order to avoid a potential nasty
surprise for call sites, we need to decide when something like this can be
done.

In 1.6 and before, we had garbage-in-garbage-out behavior. With the patch,
you get an exception.

1) Is the proposed patch acceptable in the sense that we do not whant GIGO?
Should there instead be a validate method for example?

2) What kind of version is this change in behavior acceptable? Maintenance
(1.6.1), Minor (1.7) or Major (2.0)?

Thank you,
Gary

[CODEC-134] Base32 would decode some invalid Base32 encoded string into
arbitrary value

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory