commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <benerit...@googlemail.com>
Subject [csv] Why does CSVFormat provide a validate() method instead of validating parameters passed to its constructor?
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:52:40 GMT
Hey,

the subject of this mail is pretty self-explanatory. Why do we need a
package private validate() method, given the fact, that users can not
create custom instances (constructor is package private)? You could
even argue, that no validation is needed at all, since we are in
control of what formats can be created. However I'd say, the
validation makes sure that we do not unintentionally create invalid
formats. But then validate() can be made private and called at the end
of the constructor.

Benedikt