commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1301861 - /commons/proper/csv/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVRecord.java
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:16:34 GMT
Le 17/03/2012 12:41, sebb a écrit :

> Eclipse complains about implicit boxing.
>
> But that's not why - I changed it because it makes the extra
> processing explicit.
>
> We're trying to make the code efficient, so using explicit conversions
> means we can review whether the conversion is necessary or could be
> avoided.
>
> Leaving the explicit conversion in the code shows that we did intend
> to do the conversion.

Should we code directly in bytecode to make the code even more explicit?
Will we keep using inner classes when Java 8 lamba are available to make
the code more explicit?

I tend to avoid magic syntax when it's ambiguous, but a trivial unboxing
to access an array element is really harmless. That's the perfect
example why this syntax was introduced in Java 5: to improve the
readability.

Emmanuel Bourg