commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject [graph] exporter migration in branch
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:27:23 GMT
Hi,

I have looked into the issue with the graph exporters in the branch, and
as we now store any kind of object as Vertex / Edge, it is not obvious
how to export such objects.

When looking at something like tinkerpop/blueprints, they have a
PropertyGraph that can store arbitrary properties for each node/edge
which is pretty powerful when combining it with a query language like
gremlin, and the export is of course simpler as all properties are exported.

On the other hand we could imagine a javabeans like interface, where
bean properties are exported (default), or the user provides a hint to
the exporter which ones he would like to export.

When thinking further about future importers, we could use beanutils(2?)
to create such beans on the fly when importing a graph.

Best,

Thomas

btw. the current graphml exporter code is more or less a copy&paste from
tinkerpop/blueprints
(https://github.com/tinkerpop/blueprints/blob/master/blueprints-core/src/main/java/com/tinkerpop/blueprints/pgm/util/io/graphml/GraphMLWriter.java)

from a licensing point of view it should be fine, as tinkerpop is
something like BSD afaik, but it should be mentioned somehow I guess.