commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Apache Commons Javadoc template?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:21:46 GMT
Hi all,

I noticed that Commons Math 3.0 has been released with the new Javadoc
template introduced with Java 7 [1]. While this template looks more
polished at first glance, it's actually less readable than the old one
for a variety of reasons (changes in alignment, lack of indentation and
emphasis). This led me to publish some time ago a GreaseMonkey script
that restore important aspects of the old template [2].

I'm pondering if we could agree on a Javadoc template, derived from the
one in Java 7 and with an improved readability, that would be applied to
all Commons components. The visual aspect of this template could also be
adapted to the Apache branding, for example by replacing the blue
gradient with a purple/violet gradient referring to the Apache feather.

The Hibernate project uses a custom Javadoc template and it looks pretty
good [3].

I haven't investigated how this could be implemented with Maven and if
it's possible to tweak the template in the parent pom. If anyone knows
how it works, please speak up! If it works well we could even share it
at the ASF level.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api
[2] http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/108797