commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Tensor algebra implementation
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 06:50:51 GMT
Le 05/03/2012 22:19, leandro.pezzente@hush.com a écrit :

>> This is not *my* idea, it has been around for some time now (long
>> before I joined the project). The aim of this thread is merely to
>> try and find the best way to proceed and capitalize on previous
>> discussions. I would love to hear your thoughts (and those of
>> others) on that proposal (the wiki thing).
>
> Sorry about that , I joined the mail list so recently that i am not
> particullary aware of what it has been discussed before. I guess i
> should get more familiar with markmail.
>

>>> I kinda think your idea could be expanded in a more broader way
>>> by also adding support for Cartesian Tensor Algebra. I think a
>> feature like that would be welcomed.
>>>
>> My topic is solid mechanics, so I for one would of course love to
>> see some tensor algebra in CM at some point [1]. I have some
>> personal classes for handling tensors with Voigt symmetry (most
>> common in mechanics), which might at some point find their place in
>> CM.
>>
>> As for higher-order or more general tensors, that would be an open
>> field for you to think about, if you're interested in this area. If
>> I were you, I would have a look to the Maxima Computer algebra
>> System [2], which has a package for high-order tensors (with co-
>> *and* contra- variant components!), maybe you could draw some
>> inspiration from the api (I know it's not OO design, nor
>> numerically oriented, but still...).
>
> Thanks for your suggestion ! I Downloaded the sources and i will
> check them soon. If I am correct , Maxima is implemented in Lisp (or
> CLisp) but I guess it could be feasible , once they had been analyzed
> and studied , to translate those algorithms into Java.

Maxima is GPL licensed. We have absolutely not rights to translate it
and release the translated code in an Apache licensed library. See
<http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x>.

We have to either implement the code from scratch using only reference
paper or translate code that is published under a compatible license.

Luc