commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vfs] checkstyle - was Re: svn commit: r1245166 - in /commons/proper/vfs/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2: provider/ provider/http/ provider/https/ provider/ram/ provider/sftp/ provider/tar/ util/
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:29:50 GMT

On Feb 18, 2012, at 6:12 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not easily.  If you look at how the checkstyle.xml is used in VFS you will see
it is a bit of a hack. The plugin has

>>> <configLocation>${vfs.parent.dir}/checkstyle.xml</configLocation>
>>>
>>> In the parent the variable is defined as "." and in each module it is defined
as needed to get it to the root.  If it is in commons parent it would have to be somewhere
on the disk that it could be located.

>>> the other way to do it is the way it is documented at http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/examples/multi-module-config.html
and requires a separate project just for checkstyle. I've always hated this solution but for
a project like commons it probably makes the most sense.

> Well, that's part of the overall parent issue.
>
> I work on several commons project and it's a pain and ugly -- to me --
> to deal with arbitrary differences in style, reports and so on. The
> differences make common feel less, well, common.
>
> For example I'd like to see cobertura, checkstyle, pmd and findbugs in
> all reports, so it makes sense to use the parent POM for that. Then,
> if a component has a need to do something different, it can override
> the parent POM. But it would need a good reason for that. If a new
> component is started, it gets all this for free. Especially for the
> sandbox.

I agree, but I have no idea if anyone else does. You could just do it and see what happens.

Ralph