commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Common checkstyle (was Re: [vfs] checkstyle)
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 15:26:59 GMT
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Ralph Goers <rgoers@apache.org> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2012, at 6:55 AM, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> Unlike Commons, you have to be granted permission to commit at other projects
at the ASF and each of them have their own PMC and build their own communities.  Commons
is a single community and thus it makes sense for developers to be able to easily switch between
sub projects. Having commonality between the projects encourages that as it means you don't
have to figure out what style settings you need as you switch between projects.

>> I continue seeing it an imposition that can be avoided, since not
>> everybody commits in each component.
>> I switched across components and I just respected the original code
>> format (well, not always true, because I reformatted Discovery and
>> still regret for it) - that doesn't mean that style was always the
>> same, since each component defined its own config (and often the
>> exception rules)
>>
>> If a common style has to be applied to all commons components, IMHO a
>> VOTE should be subjected to the PMC
>
> I agree with that.  However, there is nothing wrong with discussing it first to see
if a vote is even warranted.

If the question is to have a common commons codestyle, so yes. I think
public projects should follow standards. And there are sun/oracle
coding conventions.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de