commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] checkstyle - was Re: svn commit: r1245166 - in /commons/proper/vfs/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2: provider/ provider/http/ provider/https/ provider/ram/ provider/sftp/ provider/tar/ util/
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:45:13 GMT
On 19 February 2012 14:55, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
>> Unlike Commons, you have to be granted permission to commit at other projects at
the ASF and each of them have their own PMC and build their own communities.  Commons is
a single community and thus it makes sense for developers to be able to easily switch between
sub projects. Having commonality between the projects encourages that as it means you don't
have to figure out what style settings you need as you switch between projects.

> I continue seeing it an imposition that can be avoided, since not
> everybody commits in each component.
> I switched across components and I just respected the original code
> format (well, not always true, because I reformatted Discovery and
> still regret for it) - that doesn't mean that style was always the
> same, since each component defined its own config (and often the
> exception rules)
>
> If a common style has to be applied to all commons components, IMHO a
> VOTE should be subjected to the PMC

+1, well said.