commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Daemon 1.0.9 based on RC1
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 00:40:49 GMT
On 7 February 2012 23:26, Konstantin Kolinko <knst.kolinko@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/2/8 Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>:

>>> Those are not new artifacts. Previously I manually created bin-windows.zip
>>> Now its build with assembly/win.xml. So what's the fuzz?
>>
>> I think that I should ask in a Jira that exes be available in maven
>> instead of a zip of exes. That seems like it would be better for the
>> process.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> If
> 1) the executable is not called "unzip.exe" and
> 2) you are not going to start it "as is" from where it has been downloaded
>
> then I would prefer it to be packed in a zip file.
>
> I see the following benefits:
>
> 1. If the file hes been truncated I would expect some error while
> unpacking it. With an exe you would not have such a warning.

However, the hashes and sigs would provide a check that the download
has been successful.

> 2. The zip file takes less space on my hard drive and downloads faster.

Actually, it's slightly bigger than the win32 versions + the text
files; it is smaller if you include the ia64 and amd64 exes.

But it's certainly easier to download a single zip than 2 exes+ 3 source files.

> 3. The number of artifacts is lesser. In commons-daemon there are 4
> exe files: 2 main exes + 2 additional variants of one of them for
> other CPU architectures. It is better to download all them at once (or
> the pair for your CPU) rather than each exe separately. There will be
> no need for separate md5 and asc files for each of exe's.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Also, the zip includes N&L files and release notes.