commons-dev mailing list archives

From Damjan Jovanovic <damjan....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [sanselan]:1.0 Release
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:45:10 GMT
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Shashank Gupta <shgupta@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have been using sanselan incubator 0.97 release which has performance issues on .tif
format. I hope that the next 1.0 release version contains fixes around performance. When this
big-bang release is scheduled?

> Also I checked the trunk source code and it seems that performance fixes(SANSELAN-56
to 58)  are not there in trunk. Any reason why this is the case?

> Thanks in advance,
> Shashank

Hi

As for those performance fixes:
* SANSELAN-56: ImagePrep is a good idea, but I'd rather integrate it
into all the image formats, not just TIFF. Also, there is an even
faster way to use the DataBuffer classes: that DataBufferInt
constructor used is incompatible with some performance optimizations,
like caching the image in video memory (see the Java 7 API for it).
This will take time.
* SANSELAN-57: this isn't a performance fix, but I do want to improve
writing TIFF metadata before the 1.0 release. Several bugs in Jira are
begging for it.
* SANSELAN-58: the real solution here would be to rewrite the bit
extractor so performance is improved in all cases, not just those few.

I plan to include many patches in 1.0, including as many of those
performance patches as possible. At this stage I don't know when it
will be ready; hopefully in a few weeks.

Damjan