commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Contributor Request
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:52:50 GMT
Hi Leandro,
and welcome on board!

>        I will start by giving a good deep reading to the API Javadoc and
> corresponding Implementations ( hopefully 2 weeks or so) and watch the
> current discussions and issues. I guess I can call it a training
> period or something :) .
>        With regards ,
>
>        Leandro A. Pezzente

As I am myself rather new to Commons-Math, I wouldn't dare to give you
any piece of advice. What I can tell you, though, is that we are
trying to polish up the code in order to release 3.0 soon. So, as you
will find out if you read the mailing-list, no new features are being
discussed at the moment.
As for future versions, we have plenty of ideas for new features. One
of them, which has been talked about for a long time, but never really
discussed, is the refactoring of the package linear, in order to adopt
a more functional approach. This is going to be a very exciting task,
and I think that the more people get involved in this discussion, the
better it will be.
As for me, I would like to implement more special functions (I
constantly need Bessel functions, which are not yet implemented... I
think astronomers use also Bessel functions quite a lot...). I also
would like to dig into the integration package, possibly implementing
some more integration algorithms (Gauss-like, and others).

Good luck for your "training period", and we are looking forward to
reading your contributions!
S├ębastien