commons-dev mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Brisard <>
Subject [math] About MATH-718
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 07:14:31 GMT
as rightly pointed out by Christian, the bug reported in MATH-718 is
in fact a result of the current implementation of the incomplete beta
function I(x, a, b), which is inaccurate when a and/or b are
large-ish. I think this is a very interesting issue, but also one
which will not be solved in one or two days' work. I've skimmed
through slatec [1], GSL, Boost [2] as well as you-know-who. Neither
uses the same method to compute this function. I would like to review
in detail those methods before coming up with a fix for this issue. So
I propose that we mark MATH-718 as won't fix, and open a new JIRA
issue to affect 3.1 or 4.0. Working on special functions (which is a
weak side of CM anyway) is something I would be very much interested

Do you agree with this proposal?

PS: my lab does not subscribe to ACM. Does anyone have access to this paper
VOL. 18, NO. 3, SEPTEMBER, 1992, PP. 360-373z.

The FORTRAN code is freely available [3].

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message