commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org>
Subject Re: [math] Major speed improvement to 1D FFT (MATH-732)
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:33:35 GMT

> I've been testing the new faster code in a real world application and I'm a big fan.
 But, I too would be hesitant to change the API.  There are several ways it could be changed:
> transform (double[] real_imag)
>
> or
>
> transform(double[] real, double[] imag)
>
> or
>
> transform(ComplexVector cvec)
>
> (where ComplexVector might internally be implemented as either a real and imaginary double
array, or the alternating real/imag array, or an array of Complex).

> Choosing among these and other alternatives (including the current) might best be left
to a post-3.0 discussion of optimal handling of Complex arrays in general.

> Bruce

OK, I realize this was a bad suggestion. I'll commit Kurt's patch
(including cosmetic changes), and that's all. I would be tempted to
expose the lower level fft method, though (the one which takes two
double[] as an argument). Would you allow me that?

Sébastien