commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <rgo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vfs] checkstyle - was Re: svn commit: r1245166 - in /commons/proper/vfs/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2: provider/ provider/http/ provider/https/ provider/ram/ provider/sftp/ provider/tar/ util/
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:33:27 GMT

On Feb 19, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:

>> I'm +1 as well. A common style would make development easier. I think configuration
files should be downloadable from commons website. Maybe that will spare some "good patch
but there are some style issues..." replies to new contributors. ;-)

> -1 we've let each component developers the freedom to choice their
> preferred style. What is the reason to tie down the whole community to
> a unique style? What will be next? The ASF style? seriously?

Unlike Commons, you have to be granted permission to commit at other projects at the ASF and
each of them have their own PMC and build their own communities.  Commons is a single community
and thus it makes sense for developers to be able to easily switch between sub projects. Having
commonality between the projects encourages that as it means you don't have to figure out
what style settings you need as you switch between projects.

>>> I use IntelliJ so obviously I'd want a style that it can handle.  FWIW, Jetbrains
provides a free license for the full product for open source development or you can use the
community edition.

>> So are you suggesting that everybody should use IntelliJ? I use eclipse and I'm happy
with that (Most of the time ;-)

> +1 as well, users have to feel free to choice their preferred IDE -
> even EMACS/vi if they feel comfortable with it :)

Yes, that was pretty much the point. Eclipse is not the only IDE.

Ralph