commons-dev mailing list archives

From Claudio Squarcella <squar...@dia.uniroma3.it>
Subject Re: [Graph] On graph weight type(s)
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:20:43 GMT
Hi Simone,

>> Would it be so terrible to maintain such redundancy?
> IMHO, yes, because:
>
>   * it has to be applied in each class of algorithms we support;
>
>   * switching to proposed APIs, would proliferate that APIs in each algorithm;
>
>   * weight types are driven by generics, so users cannot bind wrong
> weight monoid already at compile time.
>
> more proposals? :)

ok fair enough, you were quite convincing :)

Before giving up, one more alternative:

  * the mapping between primitive types and their respective default
    *Operations is known and kept somewhere (abstract class, etc);
  * each algorithm specifies only once the set of primitive types that
    it accepts;
  * with a bit of magic (?) we combine the above to provide shortcuts to
    the user.

Note: I don't want to over-engineer, I would just like the user not to
specify default *Operations, because that is also redundant from his/her
point of view.

Ciao and thanks,
Claudio

--