commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <b...@systemoutprintln.de>
Subject [SANDBOX][BeanUtils2] Discussion about cloneBean(), copyProperties() and cast() on DefaultBeanAccessor
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:28:05 GMT
Hi,

now that we have implemented describe() and populate() on
DefaultBeanAccessor, cloneBean() and copyProperties(T target) seem very
easy to implement. I would realize cloneBean() simply like:

public B cloneBean()
     throws aLotOfExceptions ;-)
{
     @SuppressWarnings( "unchecked" )
     B clone = (B) bean.getClass().newInstance();
     DefaultBeanAccessor<B> cloneAccessor = new DefaultBeanAccessor<B>(
clone );
     cloneAccessor.populate( this.describe() );
     return clone;
}

copyProperties() can be implemented likewise. Is that really all we have
to do, or am I missing something? I've looked at BeanUtils1 and they are
handling Maps a little differently by coping all entries. So I guess we
have to do the same (to keep the user experience).

Another thing I was winking about is cast(). I don't understand how that
is supposed to work. Can it be, that there is an input parameter
missing? To make it work it has to be:

public <V> V cast(Class<V> targetType);

Tell me what you think and I'll start implementing the missing methods.

Regards,
Benedikt