commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matic@nimp.co.uk" <ma...@nimp.co.uk>
Subject Conversion utility class
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 05:38:11 GMT
Hello,

I am developing a utility class and would like to contribute it to an
Apache project. I am writing to know if Apache commons is the right
project, which sub project would be the right place and then how to do.

Background:
I Work on a regular basis with embedded devices, driving them and analyzing
the results using Java and Scala code. In this domain, it is often required
to manipulate data at bit level, and the bit ordering and byte ordering
tends to vary from one type of device to another.
I did not found an open source library for converting basic data types
between each other, changing endianness and bit ordering, so I am writing
one. As it is rather boring and time consuming to do so, I would like to
share it with others. The other motivation being that other people may find
bugs and performance improvement...

Where to contribute ?
Apache Commons Lang seems to be the right place for that kind of utility
class, however, my utility class is coded in Scala, is that ok ? I use it
in java programs without any problems since scala basic types are actually
java basic types, same for arrays. From user point of view, this is
transparent, however the documentation is not javadoc but scaladoc, that's
similar but user will definitely notice and may be confused. It seems there
is no tool to generate a javadoc from a scala file :-S

Details:
If you want to have a look, the source, test and doc are here:
http://www.nimp.co.uk/free/conv/

Best regards,
Sebastien