commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <b...@systemoutprintln.de>
Subject Re: [vfs] checkstyle - was Re: svn commit: r1245166 - in /commons/proper/vfs/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2: provider/ provider/http/ provider/https/ provider/ram/ provider/sftp/ provider/tar/ util/
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:50:44 GMT

Am 18.02.2012 um 19:06 schrieb Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>:

> On Feb 18, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>
>> Le 18/02/2012 17:27, Gary Gregory a écrit :

 In fact,

should the various projects use different rules?

>>> We can pick a format that IDEs can perform automatically.
>>
>> The style we use for [math] has an eclipse configuration counterpart at
>> <http://people.apache.org/~luc/Apache-commons.xml> which does almost
>> everything automatically. There is only one gltich I was not able to
>> fix: the indent size of the "throws" statement in method signatures
>> which cannot be set to any value on which checkstyle and eclipse could
>> agree. So when we do automatic formatting with eclipse, these lines are
>> flagged by checkstyle as having wrong indentation. I did not check since
>> one or two years, though, so there may be a setting for this now.

I'm +1 as well. A common style would make development easier. I think configuration files
should be downloadable from commons website. Maybe that will spare some "good patch but there
are some style issues..." replies to new contributors. ;-)

> I use IntelliJ so obviously I'd want a style that it can handle.  FWIW, Jetbrains provides
a free license for the full product for open source development or you can use the community
edition.

So are you suggesting that everybody should use IntelliJ? I use eclipse and I'm happy with
that (Most of the time ;-)