commons-dev mailing list archives

From leandro.pezze...@hush.com
Subject Re: [Math] Contributor Request
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:02:00 GMT
Thak you all for your comments and feedback !

As for me , one of the main reasons for joining such an exciting
project is to learn and gain experience , so , following Thomas advice
, its a great way for me to get a good grasp on Unit Tests and javadoc
( btw , thanks for the links !).

I hope I can contribute with Ideas for the next version , I do did a
rather very incomplete implentation for myself of one of two features
( a RKF Abstract factory Solver , a Legendre Polynomials solver and a
Special Functions Abstract Factory , implementing recursive series and
product approachs in Log Gamma , Gamma and Hypergeometric functions)
its rather incomplete and frankly I didnt implement them in a very
good practices , sofisticated ways , so they are kinda bug prone.
Giving me the oportunity to really learn from such a nice implemented
API and Joining the discussion will give me a nice oportunity to learn
from all of you.

Thank you all for your time,
Leandro A. Pezzente

On domingo, 05 de febrero de 2012 at 5:53 AM, Sébastien Brisard
wrote:Hi Leandro,
and welcome on board!

>        I will start by giving a good deep reading to the API Javadoc
and
> corresponding Implementations ( hopefully 2 weeks or so) and watch
the
> current discussions and issues. I guess I can call it a training
> period or something :) .
>        With regards ,
>
>        Leandro A. Pezzente

As I am myself rather new to Commons-Math, I wouldn't dare to give you
any piece of advice. What I can tell you, though, is that we are
trying to polish up the code in order to release 3.0 soon. So, as you
will find out if you read the mailing-list, no new features are being
discussed at the moment.
As for future versions, we have plenty of ideas for new features. One
of them, which has been talked about for a long time, but never really
discussed, is the refactoring of the package linear, in order to adopt
a more functional approach. This is going to be a very exciting task,
and I think that the more people get involved in this discussion, the
better it will be.
As for me, I would like to implement more special functions (I
constantly need Bessel functions, which are not yet implemented... I
think astronomers use also Bessel functions quite a lot...). I also
would like to dig into the integration package, possibly implementing
some more integration algorithms (Gauss-like, and others).

Good luck for your "training period", and we are looking forward to
reading your contributions!
Sébastien