commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <brunodepau...@yahoo.com.br>
Subject Re: [functor] CharacterRange, FloatRange, DoubleRange and open/closed intervals
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:32:52 GMT
Hi Matt,

I have just created an issue for the work on enhancements on the Generator API [1].

>  I will try to take a look at this this week.

Thanks Matt, in the meantime I will read other parts of the code base and will work on the
other existing issues to see if I can provide patches for them too.

>However, I would urge you not to look at their actual code,
>rather looking at APIs only.  This way you can be sure that any
>patches you may provide [functor] are free and clear from an IP
>perspective.

Thanks for the heads up! I will keep that in mind when creating the patches :-)

Cheers,

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FUNCTOR-14

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

>________________________________

was created based on the Python generators [2].

>> After playing for a while with Python generators, I realized many examples have a
'generator', a 'range' and a 'yield' statement. Then I looked for existing Java API's with
generators, ranges and/or *yields* to have more ideas for [functor]'s Generator API.

>> I found one [3] that requires some bytecode manipulation, and another one [4] that
uses a threading mechanism to yield objects.

>> I tried both of them [5] and the latter, java-yielder, seems to provide a useful
Yield API, as well as Generator and Ranges. There are few modifications that I would like
to see in its Range, like the possibility to make the boundary values inclusive or exclusive
(like in Google Guava). As well as include a StoppableGenerator interface to the Generator
API, so we could maintain the existing implementations in [functor] of Generators.

>> If there are no objections, I will fill an issue in JIRA for enhancements on the
Generator API in [functor], where we can further discuss on this issue as well as attach patches
:-) I believe we could have similar separation in [functor], Generators, Ranges, and maybe,
Yields. However, it would be good if someone else could have a look on java-yielder and other
existing Yields implementations for Java.

>> And if everybody thinks it is appropriate and the API is good enough, maybe we could
ping the author of java-yielder and see if he would be willing to donate the code to ASF?
It is licensed under the BSD-License [6], not sure if it is compatible with the Apache License.

>Bruno,
>  I will try to take a look at this this week.  If we like its API and
>java-yielder's author/s are willing to grant us a license, that's
>great.  However, I would urge you not to look at their actual code,
>rather looking at APIs only.  This way you can be sure that any
>patches you may provide [functor] are free and clear from an IP
>perspective.
>
>br,
>Matt
>

>> Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this!
>>

>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/rtnn2xpudw3ygtvr#query:+page:1+mid:ynfmtd4shswtuvz7+state:results
>>
>> [2]http://www.dabeaz.com/generators/
>>
>> [3] http://code.google.com/p/infomancers-collections/
>>
>> [4] http://code.google.com/p/java-yield/