commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [configuration] Generics and next release
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 01:21:58 GMT

On Jan 15, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the "generification" of [configuration] is now complete. The tests were addressed, too.
Clirr does not report any compatibility breaks.

> If you do not have any objections against the current API, we can start thinking about
a new release. There are some Jira issues I am going to have a look at. Are there other wishes/changes
that should go into a 1.8 release?

1. Are we dropping the experimental branch?
2. Now that we are using Java 5 I'd like to change the locking I added from syncrhonization
to read/write locks as that will significantly reduce contention thread contention.
3. It is my intention (whenever I can find the time) to create an AggregateConfiguration that
works similar to CompositeConfiguration but supports HierarchcialConfigurations. This will
be much more memory efficient than CombinedConfiguration, at least when used in a manner similar
to DynamicCombinedConfiguration, and have a lot less locking issues. However, I'd like it
to be configurable from DefaultConfigurationBuilder. Needless to say, I don't see this happening
for a 1.8 release if that is going to happen soon.
3. It is still on my wish list to make the hierarchical configuration the base instead of
the flat structure, but that will have to wait for a 2.0.

Ralph