commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [math] Compatibility of licenses?
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:35:10 GMT
IMNAL, but it seems to be a basically badly worded basically BSD license.
The main problems I see is that it is missing the words 'irrevocable' and
'perpetual' in the language.  The correct place would probably be
legal-discuss@a.o.

An ICLA wouldn't help. Getting a grant or getting an agreement to relicense
it under AL2 would clear all the cobwebs.

-----Original Message-----
From: S├ębastien Brisard
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:42 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: [math] Compatibility of licenses?

Hi,
Dennis recently contributed a patch for triangular distributions (see
MATH-731). One of the methods implemented is based on a third party
Python code, the license of which is reproduced below. My question is:
can I commit this patch? Should we try and get in touch with the
original author (1998!), to have him sign an ICLA?
Thanks for your advice.
S├ębastien

+ * <p>Implementation of the {@link #sample} method partly based on
triangular
+ * distribution implementation of the rv Python module (Release 1.1
27-Nov-98),
+ * by Ivan Frohne, which is distributed under the following license:
+ * <pre>
+ *            Copyright 1998 by Ivan Frohne; Wasilla, Alaska, U.S.A.
+ *                        All Rights Reserved
+ *
+ * Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its
+ * documentation for any purpose, free of charge, is granted subject to the
+ * following conditions:
+ *   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in
+ *   all copies or substantial portions of the software.
+ *
+ *   THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND,
+ *   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS
+ *   FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
+ *   AUTHOR OR COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM OR DAMAGES IN A
+ *   CONTRACT ACTION, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION
+ *   WITH THE SOFTWARE OR ITS DOCUMENTATION.
+ * </pre>
+ * </p>