commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <>
Subject Re: [all] Move Jelly to dormant/orphaned?
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 14:58:46 GMT
On 9 January 2012 14:42, Gary Gregory <> wrote:
> I think the whole formality of project state should be replaced with a
> live activity widget like can be seen on other sites. Commit activity
> and such. If someone were thinking of contributing to a project, the
> incentive would be removed or seriously diminished by a dead/sleepy
> project state.

I think the activity widget could be counter-productive.

Component activity tends to go in phases; there may be several weeks
with no activity and then a flurry.
Also commits are only a small part of the health of a component.

Activity monitors can work well for frequently occuring activities,
but component health is much more complicated.

To take a simple example, try measuring committer productivity by SVN commits.
Some committers commit large chunks, some commit per file; and that
may vary for a committer.
Some commits are not "productive" - e.g. whitespace fixes, reverts of
a bad commit.
Some commits represent lots of investigation and skill, some may be
much simpler.