commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Maven 2 - (was Commons Parent pom - any more changes needed?)
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 11:23:54 GMT
On 8 January 2012 11:11, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>>> I guess there are still a lot of m2 users, and for the next few years
>>> there will still be many. At least when I run an "aptitude search maven"
>>> on my Debian Linux box, I only see maven 2 supported. Getting rid of
>>> maven 2 is not an option for me now.
>>

> Out of curiosity: why can't you run m3 on debian linux? m3 is java,
> you should be able to download it and place it in your path.
> I thought everybody who wants to build commons components himself
> should be able to install m3 on every plattform with java around. Or
> do I miss something?

I think what everyone is missing is that CP22 (now) works fine with M2.
The .svn issue was a red herring, because it also affects M3 when
using a SVN 1.7 client.

However, Commons Parent does not (yet) work properly with M3, e.g.
problems with non-Nexus deployment.

>> I'm not sure how it is relevant whether commons users use maven 2 or 3. Even if we
require Maven 3 to build a commons component anyone can still use it in a Maven 2 build. They
only would require Maven 3 if they actually want to build one of our artifacts on their own.

But remember that the ASF releases source, so we cannot arbitrarily
change build procedures without at least considering how that might
affect downstream users.